The Avatar Legends: Starter Set is the perfect introduction for you and a group of friends/loved ones to the world of tabletop roleplaying games—and, no less, in the beloved world of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra! In this box, you’ll find all you need to experience this wonderful fantasy world in a way you never have before with 2-6 people. You can find the Starter Set here.
Tabletop roleplaying games may seem intimidating from afar, but they’re one of the most rewarding things you can do with other people. In short, you and your group tell a story about a group of young heroes—the player characters or PCs—who join together to fight for what’s right in a complicated and nuanced world. The tools of the game help you make those characters and tell stories together, just as if you were creating your very own episodes of the shows!
Components and Contents
- The Rules: The Avatar Legends: Starter Set opens up with a 30-page condensed rulebook that contains everything you need to run and play the game for a number of sessions, more than enough to complete both of the adventures included.
- Adventure Booklet: “The Pirates of Crimson Sails” (set in the era of Avatar Aang) and “The Burning Fuse” (set in the era of Avatar Korra). “Pirates” is an adventure involving, well, pirates; you are the specially chosen agents of Fire Lord Zuko, attempting to bring peace to shipping lanes threatened by pirates! In “Fuse”, on the other hand, you’re tasked by Asami Sato to investigate the mysterious disappearance of spirit-related technology in Republic City.
- The Dice: Most tabletop roleplaying games use dice to determine the outcome of a situation—and Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Games is no different! In this case, although the game only requires two regular, six-sided dice to play, the Starter Set includes 10 unique, exclusive engraved dice using numbers instead of dots from 1-5, and featuring Tui and La instead of number 6, so up to five players can play at the same time without having to pass the dice around.
- Pre-generated Characters and Reference Sheets:The Avatar Legends: Starter Set includes ten pre-generated characters (five for each era), fully illustrated and ready to go! Also, the box includes six reference sheets, which include all the necessary information to play and run the game for all players at the table.
- Map and Digital Version: Finally, you’ll find a large full-color map of the Four Nations—like the one you’ve seen in Avatar: The Last Airbender, as well as a unique code to unlock a full digital version of the Avatar Legends: Starter Set on Demiplane.
How to Use the Avatar Legends RPG: Starter Set
The Conversation and Moves
Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game—as most tabletop roleplaying games—is a conversation: you take turns speaking, describing the action or sharing dialogue, reacting to each other, switching back and forth between in-character and out-of-character speech. The conversation leads to places of uncertainty, times when no one knows what happens next. In those moments, you turn to the game’s rules; more specifically, moves.
Each move is a small set of rules that resolves conflicts, answers questions, and pushes the story forward. Moves are like the programming of the game: “when you do X, then do Y”.
In Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game you’ll find basic moves and balance moves, available to everybody (if the fiction fits), as well as playbook moves, which are specific to each playbook.
Choosing and Completing Your Character
In the full game, each player creates their own hero using a playbook, a kind of hero archetype—a set of abilities and details and story elements all wrapped together to help you make the coolest character possible. Each hero is known as a player character (PC) in contrast to characters not controlled by the players called non-player characters (NPCs).
In the Avatar Legends RPG: Starter Set, you’ll find pre-generated characters, ready to play and get into the action. They have some pre-selected elements, but they also have plenty of space for you to determine more about them. As you play, you’ll make them your own!
Most players in this game each play their own individual character, but the Gamemaster (or GM) is another player with special responsibilities. The GM’s aim is to create the most
fun—not necessarily the most deadly or trying or challenging—experience for the table.
In order for the GM to manage everything they need to balance their work, they rely on the core GMing mechanics for the Avatar Legends RPG: agendas, baselines, guidelines, and moves. In the Starter Set, you’ll find all of this explained in greater detail.
Starter Set Setting and Storyline
Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game is a heroic adventure game. Its world is a fantasy setting inspired by Asian and North American Indigenous cultures, a land filled with breathtaking landscapes, majestic hybrid beasts, and unique marvels of technology and industry.
Yet, it is also a world defined by struggle in which there are no absolute villains or perfect heroes—only people with complex motivations who come into conflict with others while striving to forge a future they believe is best.
Although this world has been extensively explored in both Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, that doesn’t mean there’s no place for further heroics; that’s exactly where this game comes in! You get to tell your own stories set in the Avatarverse, in this case during the time of Avatars Aang and Korra, respectively.
For although the adventures present you with all the necessary materials to create the story, nobody knows how it will end. One of the great wonders of tabletop roleplaying games is that you get to play to find out.
The Avatar Legends: Starter Set Is All You Need
The Avatar Legends Starter Set contains everything you need to get started in the wonderful world of Avatar Legends. Find it today at Magpie Games’ webstore (for international customers) or at Target (for US ones).
And, when you’re ready to tell more stories in the Four Nations, pick up the Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Core Book and Wan Shi Tong’s Adventure Guide!